Thursday, September 4, 2008

looking for the ram?

there are times in all of our lives where we are asked to "lay down our Isaac." these are good things, even wonderful blessings that God has given us, yet there often comes a point where He asks us to sacrifice it for Him. our maturity is measured directly by our response.

do we lay it on the altar and go looking for the ram? (reference to the provision of a sacrifice for Isaac in Gen. 22) or do we try to keep this offering to ourselves, not trusting God to provide deliverance or give us something better?

what must it have been like to be Abraham that day when God asked for his son, the object of the promise? what are we still holding onto that God wants us to release so that He can grow us and give us more?

are there any areas of ministry or control that you are struggling to release but know that God is asking you to lay it on the altar of sacrifice? will you trust Him to provide for you?

I can attest that God is more than faithful. five years ago I was asked to lay down youth ministry, something that God had blessed me in and through which I found incredible fulfillment. it was the most painful experience in my entire life, greatly affecting my wife as well. but can I tell you from the other side that God has been so honored by that sacrifice that He continues to overwhelmingly bless me and my family in ways I could have never seen or experienced if I had stayed in youth ministry. God can be fully trusted with our lives - for He may be the only One that has our absolute best and eternal interests in mind.

I encourage you to "lay it down" and start looking for the ram. Like me, you may be wandering around looking for it for some time, but even in that search God will be blessing your life and making you more like Him. be encouraged. you can do it!

No comments: